Food Service Manager
At Chartwell, we’re all about Making People’s Lives Better for our residents, their families, and our employees. Join an exceptional group of diverse, caring, and passionate people who are inspired to make a difference in their own lives and are dedicated to delivering an experience that is personalized, memorable and feels like home for more than 30,000 residents across the country.
The Food Service Manager is responsible for all aspects of the residence’s food service department. The FSM ensures residents and guests are provided with outstanding service and creative menus that meet and exceed expectations. Assists in maintaining a safe and secure environment for residents, visitors and other staff members.
The responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
- Prepares or monitors the preparation of service daily and special event menu plans to ensure individual dietary needs are met;
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with residents and their families in order to determine individual needs, resolve issues or concerns, and evaluate resident satisfaction;
- Ensures that the meals and services provided meet or exceed residents’ and Chartwell’s expectations;
- Provides residents with a safe and comfortable environment;
- Leads and manages food services staff to achieve department goals;
- Participates as a member of the work team and provides support to the other members of the team;
- Recruits and organizes staff orientation and in-service training programs;
- Schedules and assigns work, monitors and evaluates staff performance;
- Forecasts, monitors and approves expenditures from the food services budget;
- Maximizes purchasing power while maintaining or exceeding residence quality and service standards and provincial and legal requirements;
- Develops and implements inventory control systems to maximize saving and minimize waste;
- Liaises with municipal and provincial agencies concerning health and safety issues;
- Voluntarily participates as a member of professional associations such as Canadian Culinary Federation, Canadian Food Service Supervisors Association;
- Chairs the Food Committee or Food Advisory Committee;
- Consults with the Dietitian/Director of Food and Beverage as required, to determine appropriate dietary needs for menu planning purposes;
- Ensures compliance to food safety, sanitation and overall workplace safety standards;
- Performs other relate duties as required.
The ideal candidates will possess:
- Minimum of two years supervisory experience in a volume food preparation environment in a retirement/LTC residence, the healthcare or hospitality industry;
- Successful and minimum completion of a post-secondary diploma in Food and Beverage Management from a recognized institution;
- Current qualification as a chef and in possession of a Food Service Supervisors certificate;
- Minimum of one year experience in front of house and customer service;
- Prior labour relations experience preferred;
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal);
- Effective interpersonal and conflict resolution skills;
- Good organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task;
- Customer service oriented;
- Must have working knowledge of special diets.
Your application has been successfully submitted.